A few weeks ago, I talked about a quote by Sister Hinckley.
Only, there's no evidence that she ever said it. The pearly gates quote has been attributed to her since 1997, but this blogger did some asking around and learned that even Sister Hinckley's daughters couldn't find any citations. In fact, "knowing her mother, she would not want to arrive anywhere without her hair combed and nails cleaned." So we don't have to feel guilty for not wanting to show up to heaven with peanut butter smeared in our hair.
While I'm on the topic, President Hinckley wasn't the one who originally said
"Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he has been robbed. The fact is that most putts don't drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just like people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, and most jobs are more often dull than otherwise.
Life is just like an old time rail journey...delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride."
What? I know! There are so many pictures on Facebook which claim that, so it must be true, right? Nope. As Middle-Aged Mormon Man reminds us, President Hinckley quoted Jenkin Lloyd Jones.
Nelson Mandela didn't originally say "Our deepest fear is that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." That was Marianne Williamson. President Packer never said people would bow down when we said we lived in the time of President Hinckley.
And "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it?" Nope. Not the Savior.
Sorry. They're all still good quotes, I guess.
Oh, one final rant. If the SAT or ACT included a reading comprehension page based on Facebook, I think a lot of people would fail. Guys, when someone says "don't write your address here, click on the link," don't write your address on the event page! I'm tired of getting notifications for my sister's upcoming wedding! Also, when someone says "don't like this picture here, go to the page to like it," go to the page to like it!
And don't post quotes that aren't attributed correctly.
The end.
AMEN! Especially to the final rant!
ReplyDeleteI have one addition though: don't post quotes and completely leave out the source of the quote. That's called plagiarism (even if you put quotation marks around it!)