Friday, May 31, 2013

Milk

Now that Joseph's one year old (which I promise I will blog about for real someday), he can drink cow's milk! They recommend that toddlers drink whole milk so they can get enough fat in their diet.

My only problem with that was that it meant another gallon of milk in the fridge. And we go through gallons so slowly around here. We're the kind of people who consider milk a necessary evil to be used only with cereal and for cooking, so we usually are using it right up to the expiration date

Anyway, while I was lamenting to Kevin about having both 1% and whole milk in the fridge, having to spend twice as much on milk when we won't initially drink it all (and heaven forbid I only get half-gallons, because those aren't as cost effective), he looked at me and said, "You could afford to drink whole milk, you know. You don't have to drink 1%."

And then I felt like this:


3 comments:

  1. LOL! "Are you drinking one percent because you think you're fat...?"

    We solved this problem by switching all of us to 2 percent. It was a good compromise for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up with 2%, and Sterling with skim. I thought that was disgusting, and for awhile when we were first married we bought both. Then Sterling gave up and drank 2. Then when we bought whole milk for Ruth, and I was pregnant with Will and not gaining weight, they recommended drinking whole. So sometimes there'd be only whole in our fridge. Now I try to buy whole and 2,and although he is used to it, Sterling is still a little disgusted that thats all we have, haha! We don't have a problem drinking it though, we usually go through 4-5 gallons a week. I love milk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of my kids didn't like whole milk, but they would drink 2%. So, when the doctor would lecture me about it, I would think, well at least they will drink the 2% and get some fat vs. not drinking the whole milk. Autumn has liked the whole milk fine, and Jen and Laura will even drink it. Except I am too lazy to buy it most of the time, for the reason that I don't like having two open gallons. I am with you milk is for cereal, baking, and with really good cookies and brownies. I am married to a man who will drink it at every meal though.

    ReplyDelete