(Reposted from Facebook, with slight variations.)
Sometimes I get writer's block on Facebook and on my blog. (If you ever see a lot of videos on my blog, that's usually when I have it.) It's been frustrating this week since I've really wanted to blog at nights while Kevin works on his paper still (the same one that's been hanging over us since January, only it morphed into two), but though I write, I never press "Publish." As I look over it, I see that it is probably too whiny (I always get embarrassed about angst once I get over it, so I am trying to be better at not making it too public), or too silly (like a story from when I was little).
So, here is a glimpse of life without any pithiness or polishing in hopes that I will break my writer's block. Pretty much it's just rambling.
This morning, Joseph and I folded laundry. For the first time in a very long time, I decided to listen to Wicked while doing it. Joseph heard the first few bars and asked, "Is this about witches?" because I guess it sounded enough like Tangled music that he made the connection (since clearly that is what Tangled is about). We listen to Tangled music in the car sometimes, including the instrumental music they tack on at the end of the CD, and he asks me "what's happening?" and I have to try and remember where that music belongs in the movie so I can say, "the horse is mad at Flynn" or something like that.
I actually thought that "No One Mourns the Wicked" sounded more like My Turn on Earth or Saturday's Warrior or some other 80s Mormon music with the rhythms and harmonies. And actually a lot of the music in Wicked sounds like 80s music to me. I felt that way when I was 14, too.
And, speaking of early 2000s pop culture, the last time we folded laundry, I watched Ella Enchanted. Just had to remember how bad it really was. And I cringed through a lot of it. But the part that bugged me most this time was the costume design. Why did they want them to all look like poorly dressed people from the 2000s? Because that's seriously what they all looked like. The movie is already dated and it's only a decade old.
Anyway, it was interesting realizing how things can become dated relatively quickly. And I think I should find more current music and movies to fold laundry to.
No comments:
Post a Comment